Soundings is Recruiting
Location: London, Shoreditch EC2A
Salary: £20k – £28k, dependent upon experience
Apply to: email@example.com with a CV and a covering letter of no more than one page
About the job:
Soundings run independent public engagement and stakeholder consultation programmes on some of London’s most high-profile planning projects.
Assistants are a vital part of our team, providing support across a range on consultation projects, working alongside developers, local authorities, architects, multidisciplinary teams, agencies and communities. Assistants help to provide an integrated approach that actively supports complex design and regeneration projects. Assistants will work in teams of about 4 people and across multiple projects at any one time.
They will be enthusiastic with good written and oral communications skills and an understanding of graphics. This will be combined with an understanding of the role of consultation and engagement in community planning. Knowledge of planning, urban design, local government and/or architecture is an advantage.
This role offers a unique opportunity to make genuine contributions to large-scale regeneration and strategic projects for London. Consultation processes generally involve extensive community outreach and mapping, developing creative techniques for people to participate in the design and development process in a meaningful way and ensuring high quality communications and feedback loops are maintained – including the use of websites and social media.
Soundings is a field leader in public consultation and engagement on built environment projects, with over 15 years’ experience creating and delivering bespoke programmes of community involvement and participation.
We work with developers, local authorities, architects, multidisciplinary teams, agencies and communities to provide an integrated approach that actively supports complex design and regeneration projects.
Our multi-disciplinary team consists of architects, urban planners, landscape architects, and communications professionals among many others.
A great place to work:
Our people are our most valuable asset and we encourage people from all types of backgrounds to be part of our business, ranging from architecture and urbanism, to planning and geography, to community engagement and creative practice, as well as graphic design and communications. We encourage our staff to develop their skills and potentials and support them to meet their objectives. Everyone is treated with respect and at whatever level their opinions valued.
We offer an extraordinary working environment of collaborative working alongside dedicated, likeminded, ambitious and supportive colleagues to deliver excellence and the highest standards. In an ever changing and unpredictable context we have to be responsive to the needs of project timescales, community feedback and politics and sometimes challenging our clients when needed to ensure the best outcome for the project and process.
The range of regeneration and development projects we work on offer an unmatched insight into London and the huge transformation it and its’ communities are undergoing. Project teams work from ‘penthouse to pavement’ creating a unique experience.
Engagement consultant will:
Assistants will be required to:
– Work flexibly, in teams and across a number of projects
– Support teams to engage and consult with residents, community groups, business and the hard to reach
– Work alongside, and liaise with, architects, planners and other professional consultants
– Help design and produce content for pop-ups, exhibitions and workshops
– Help plan and set-up events
– Organise, attend and record meetings and events with a range of stakeholders.
– Database, analyse and report on findings from consultation
– Keep engaged with relevant and cutting edge thinking
– Handle other office duties as appropriate
– You will be interested in the built environment and be educated to degree level
– You will have used, or be prepared to learn, InDesign to support the production of graphic presentational materials
– Competent level of IT skills
– Comfortable dealing with people in public, enjoy public interaction and be a good listener
– A keen eye for detail
– Experience in community consultation and engagement, or through postgraduate studies
– Understanding of social media including Twitter, Instagram, etc.
– Experience of using programmes in the Adobe creative suite
– A knowledge of/interest in London planning policy at both City Hall and Town Hall levels
– Proactive – take initiative to add creativity to consultation projects/events
– Energetic and friendly – willing to engage with people
– Timeliness and ability to react positively to last minute changes
– Collaborative– projects often involve working as part of a larger consultant team that consist of architects, the council/developer and various other practitioners related to a development /regeneration project
– After you successfully complete your probation period (6 months), you will receive access to full company benefits including Private health care, medical cash plan and income Protection
– 25 days annual holiday (and public holidays) in addition to lieu time that can be built up if working at weekends.
How to apply:
Please send us your CV and a covering letter of no more than one page to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th March. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position may be filled ahead of the deadline.